What on Earth are you doing?? Why would you want to do that??

Meet Tiny!!

What on Earth are you doing??? and Why would you want to do that?? are two questions I get asked more then I can count. So I'm going to give you a behind the scenes tour of my wonderful traveling life... My name is Madison Sloan. I live in a 400 sq. ft. fifth wheel with my parents, brother, and 2 dogs. We only have one bathroom. (I know scary right!?!?) My bedroom is smaller than a residential bathroom and I don't have a closet! The only car we have is our tow vehicle, a 12' 6" tall white Volvo semi truck, who has taken on the name "Tiny". (Shown above) For those of you who were wondering, going to Costco is no easy endeavor! But lets rewind a bit. Just 2 years ago, I had a routine. Wake up, go to school, come home, do homework, do chores, sleep, repeat. Every. Single. Day. All I knew was my little corner of the world, and I still can barely believe how amazing and beautiful our country is. I was a robot, doing the same things on a loop. I never hung out with friends, their schedules were even crazier than mine! I never just woke up and said, "I want to see a national park today". Spontaneous was not a word in my vocabulary, and I was miserable. I never saw my parents, because they had to work all the time. I was to busy anyway doing the mountains of homework our school systems seem to love to throw at kids these days. I lived in a world so full of people who had so much stuff, yet missed out on the most important things in life. They say money can get you anywhere, well, money can't buy relationships. Relationships are not bought, they are earned. They require time, blood, sweat, and tears. I never knew how close a family could become until I moved into and RV. We started watching a TV show called Tiny House Big Living. We were very set in our ways, and had no intention of actually moving in a trailer. (I mean how crazy would that be?!? We would have no room and probably kill each other...) Our family and all our friends are in California, who would want to leave that? We decided to watch it just for fun. That TV show changed our life. We started realizing how freeing living simply can be. I'm talking no mortgage, homeschooling, spending time with your family, and seeing the beautiful country God created for us. It started to sound appealing, but we were not ready yet, except for my dad. He was all in, but he had to convince us first. All our family is in California, all our friends, our school, our beautiful house. Could we really give that up? I started to do some serious thinking. I would lose a lot. I would barely ever see my friends, or family, both of which I love very much. I would have to give up more than half my stuff. Then I felt God telling me to look at all I would gain. I would get to see my parents. I would get to visit churches all over the country. I would get to see his beautiful nature. I decided that I could make some hard sacrifices to get to experience something a lot of people don't. So one night I went to my dad, I told him I was ready and I wanted to do it. He looked at me and asked me if I was certain, as this would be a huge change. I had made up my mind. Even though I had no idea what it would bring, I spoke the most life changing word I ever have, yes. My mom and brother took a little more convincing, but soon realized it would be incredible. One year later we had leased our house, bought a semi truck, bought a fifth wheel and were gone. I think the hardest part was purging from a 2000 sq. ft. house to a 400 sq. ft. fifth wheel, but we did it. I can tell you now, that I am very glad I took this leap of faith.

Comments

  1. You are an incredibly gifted writer. I enjoy reading everything you write. Keep in coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am really love writing, and I'm very happy to hear that you are enjoying it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I did make friends!!

Love Your Enemies

God Teaches Me Through My Dog